Friday, September 17, 2010

Finding My Way Around...

After getting hopelessly and helplessly lost for a good 20 minutes, I finally found the 'elusive' McDonald's @ NTU, the haunt where my team mates and I were to meet for our first formal discussion of the work we were to do. Informally, we threw in our ideas about the key initiatives. Seeing how time flew by all too quickly, we decided to use MSN as a means for communication and discussion. The date for this: 18 September, Saturday, 10.30am!

For the first face-to-face meeting of erstwhile 'strangers' (except for Nurul and Jing Bo who are colleagues), I think we did pretty well!

What I'm most unclear about is pbworks. I guess I will be less hazy once I begin to explore the website thoroughly and systematically!

Some of the things I have learnt on 16 September (which happened to be the birthday of MM Lee) ~

1. Cooperative Learning -
Its benefits:
·         increase student retention
·         develop students' social skills
·         promote student self-esteem
·         promote student learning and academic achievement
·         enhance student satisfaction with their learning experience
·         help students develop skills in oral communication


I intend to make more creative and extensive use of Cooperative Learning Strategies in my classroom teaching. I think Think-Pair-Share works best for me!

2. Mathematics Initiatives -
·         some are short-fused
·         some enjoy longevity
·         some bring about notable changes
·         some are the results of another/others
·         some have influences in non-mathematical domains
·         some affect us such that our education landscape is no longer the same

No comments:

Post a Comment