Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Little Chat Goes a Long Way...

I believe it's beneficial to speak with Mrs G-F, the Math HOD in my school, about the Math initiatives that have been put in place in our education system. Being approachable, friendly and having no airs but a wealth of experience, expertise and knowledge, Mrs G-F immediately invited me to her workstation when I waylaid and asked her if I could ask a few professional questions.

I told her I needed some info about the initiative that were implemented from 1997 to present. The year 1997 struck an immediate chord with her - TSLN! I knew I have found the right person! We chatted for about 20 minutes. After a most interesting and informative tête-à-tête and leaving the HOD Room, I quickly jotted down the things she had mentioned (before my oft-appalling memory fails me)...

Some of the things that I have learnt from Mrs G-F:

1. Although there was a content reduction in Math, it isn't significant enough. In one sense, it's simply how the teaching and learning of Math is. There is a 'ladder' of learning - many concepts are built upon what is taught earlier.

I experience this struggle almost on a daily basis: I want to teach well and I want my pupils to learn well. I want my pupils to love learning and love learning Math. However, in spite of the reduced syllabus, I still have a hard time teaching and exploring in the best possible way every single topic, especially when the exams loom near. 'Covering syllabus' - something I dislike doing - seems a norm.

There is a topic which can be done away with, in the opinion of Mrs G-F, with no real loss. Despite several appeals by teachers to get it removed, it remains. Guess which topic that is?

Speed! Zoom...!

2. There was a moving of topics to different levels. This is significant since it signals some changes in the thinking and mindset of the good people who are in charge of planning the Math curriculum.

3. Long time ago, the abacus was used in the learning of Math. This tool always brings to my mind the 'ancient' grocery shopkeeper who totalled up the prices of goods with it with ease.

4. Recently, the calculator was introduced in the learning of Math. This will enable more challenging questions to be tested as pupils are no longer hampered by the calculation parts when solving these problems.

Looking at it positively, I guess this is the right way to move ahead! It's the knowing how to solve a problem that is of a weightier matter!

At the end of our little chit-chat, Mrs G-F asked if I wanted to teach more Math next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment